Treat your family to an old classic!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl combine the meat, onion, garlic, egg, bread, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, mix thoroughly. Spread the mixture on a large cutting board to a half-inch thickness.
- Sprinkle a layer of cheese followed by a layer of broccoli (if frozen you can cook ahead of time to reduce overall cooking time, but not necessary).
- Fold the outer edges like a giant burrito.
- Be sure to seal the meat to itself so the cheese does not leak.
- Put a 9×13 pan on top of the meat. Holding the cutting board and pan, flip everything over so the meat is now inside the pan with the seams facing down.
- Cook for approximately 45 minutes. Be sure internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 165 degrees. Cooking times vary by oven and elevation.
Fun tip: You can make smaller meatloaves that will cook faster, but be sure to keep them on the thinner side (half-inch).